AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rectal Prolapse in bred heifer.......
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 12/30/2018 23:03 (#7208561 - in reply to #7208373)
Subject: RE: To bad.........

Driftless SW Wisconsin

thekcirp - 12/30/2018 21:40

she's a damn nice Hereford heifer. Not a Hereford cow fan, but found these three pretty well worth the money and capooey!

There may be a reason these three "damn nice Hereford heifers" were for sale.   I would not keep and breed any heifer or cow that has had any sort of prolapse. I'm told it is highly heritable.  IMHO folks usually don't sell good commercial Hereford heifers unless there is a problem lurking somewhere. You keep the good heifers and sell old cows, unless it's a true dispersal.  Or the good heifers are very expensive.

There are unfortunately a lot of ribbon-winning SHOW heifers in the Hereford breed that look great but haven't the foggiest idea of how to successfully calve in the pasture without an obstetrics ward backup. 

It can be hard to tell the difference between a SHOW Hereford heifer and a PASTURE Hereford heifer.   Ask me how I know....  That's why I raise my own females. That way I know what I've got.   It's not a breed problem as much as a breeder problem. jmho and experience.

In my opinion, if you want Hereford females to make baldy calves, buy older experienced Hereford cows, with good udders and that have successfully calved unassisted from someone you trust, not unknown heifers.

There just are not anywhere near as many good pasture type Hereford heifers available as there are Angus heifers.

Edited by Jim 12/30/2018 23:57
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)