AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tc just for you
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

denice.r
Posted 12/13/2018 18:24 (#7169410)
Subject: Tc just for you

south east Indiana
HIDE AND SEEK
Nov 6 2018

Headed out to the pasture with Scott, my Border Collie, this morning only to find it empty. All the ewes along with Gunner the LGD were gone. The adjacent 20 acres of standing corn and 20 acres of woods provided plenty cover for 60 plus ewes to play hide and seek. Problem is I could not drive the ATV into the corn and was not going to walk 40 acres to find them. Best I could do was hope Scott could locate the herd, I sure couldn't see them. Said a little prayer as I sent him on his way. Turning off the ATV listening for the rustle of ewes passing through dry corn stalks only brought silence … then dread. Driving up on a hill watching for bending corn only showed the wind blowing the highest leaves. Calling Scott brought him to the edge of the field for only a second to briefly make his presence known only to vanish in the 8ft tall maze on his appointed mission.
The longer Scott was gone, the more worried I became. “That'll do” was met by the cold wind in my face and complete silence. I tried not to worry, it had only been a few minutes. I tried to reassure myself. Scott had been working sheep with me all his life. I went through my list of dogs in my head, wondering if I should have chosen differently. No, Scott was the best dog for the job.
The ewes had to be brought out of the corn or they would get sick, some would die. I had no choice but to send him. The land goes on forever here. Fences are few, open fields and woods cover endless acres. Plenty cover of thick briars and rose bushes if you dare to venture into the hideouts of whitetail deer. Hunting season has arrived, always heralded by the startling loud bangs of every firearm known to man. I don’t venture too far from the open pastures this time of year, never know what or who lurks without permission. Always a bit more cautious, this morning the vanished ewes and dense stalks reaching toward the sky gave me no choice.
Surely, he will return, even without fences to keep him safe and guide him home. He has never had to find sheep without seeing them - at least eventually, even with blind outruns he would see them. Not today, not even able to do an outrun. How is he going to get the entire group without an outrun? How will he figure out how deep into the corn to go? How will he know which ewe is the furthest away? Can he bring the flock simply by weaving through thousands of cornstalks? Are the sheep even on my property? I find only mounting questions, eerie silence and fading confidence as time seems to speed by and grind to a halt simultaneously.
Finally, out of the dry yellow forest of stalks, ewes begin silently appearing at the edge of the field like ghosts out of the night. They trickle from the field slowly with no real sound, nothing marking their return. Marching quietly, on and on the come, weaving through the last rows of corn toward the pasture. Still no sight of Scott although he is surely spurring their hushed meandering exit. There finally, a sigh a relief releasing the breath I was unaware I was holding, a small black form in between the rows. A dark showdown of stealth occasionally visible. As the last of the ewes walk into the grass Scott pauses, dwarfed by the stalks, the cornfield stretching out behind him. He looks me in the eyes for a split second before he drops his head returning to his work. Picking up his pace, urging the ewes into the pasture he bends out to bring the last few ushering them over the down fence.
Appearing at my side on sure swift paws I reach and down to touch his head. Fingertips on warm black fur. Loyalty, reassurance, confidence, respect, and trust exchanged in those brief seconds.
No idea how Scott accomplished his task. He brought the flock with the ease of a seasoned dog. Using what comes as naturally as breathing with added wisdom gained with each task accomplish over the years, he achieved what I asked of him. Despite my concern, he made it look easy.
His expression as he walked toward me was one of questioning. If he could have spoken with words I am sure he would have told me, " No reason to worry I was simply too busy to return when you called. I brought them back, see." I paused, stroked his head thankful he was again next to me. Even still I asked him to go check the cornfield again. He seemed a bit disappointed in me I think, for not trusting him fully. How could I explain it was only my concern for the ewes that had me overly cautious? Look again he did, although a half- hearted attempt, he reappeared quickly. He knew he found them all the first time his sideway glance seemed to convey.
I told Scott several times this day that he is an Awesome dog. He took it in stride. A devout working dog to his core. No need to make a big to-do. A simple spot on the couch next to me in the evening so he can lie his head in my lap will be all he asks.
It is occasions like this I believe that Border Collies show us their heart and soul. It is for these tasks they were created. Times when we can only wait, hope and trust. Trust in them and their ability to handle things. Trust in their judgment. Trust in our training. More importantly - Faith in Our Relationship.
I learn many lessons about myself, about life, about Faith during moments such as these when you have no option but to trust and let go.

(20181106_101642 (2) (full).jpg)

(20181106_104101 (4) (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20181106_101642 (2) (full).jpg (426KB - 106 downloads)
Attachments 20181106_104101 (4) (full).jpg (113KB - 106 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)