AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is "listening" to your equipment a lost art?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

hf213
Posted 12/13/2018 06:39 (#7167985 - in reply to #7167919)
Subject: RE: Is "listening" to your equipment a lost art?

Does "married equipment count " , LOL...

To answer your question....I think so....I have worked on farm equipment for 40 years and the guys then seemed to be more in tune to the equipment than now. Experience / tolerance plays in and cabs have gotten quieter, more electronics, and I would say the quality has improved on machinery to a certain point, so I think that has made the more "intense" listening more laid back.
I can tell that the later generations do not listen for these particular noises as much as their dads did, unless they are more mechanically inclined.

Another thing is how nervous a guy is, or close to his wallet...and I mean this in a good way, but I always chuckle at the two types of customers I have, one guy who is a more nervous type and paranoid about any problem that can arise, will hear the most slightest noise or change, which can be a good thing, then the next guy can about have a lower knock in an engine ( like a rod brg is about to let go ) and think nothing of it. I have accepted that many guys just do not know what to listen for...or was never taught how or what to listen for.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)