AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Field Entrance onto highway with low visability
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jcs
Posted 12/12/2018 21:25 (#7167604)
Subject: Field Entrance onto highway with low visability

Oklahoma
Have a place that is bordered by state highway on two sides with a big creek that splits the property. Barns on one side of creek and most of the land on the other and use the state bridge regularly to go back and forth. Most of the highway is raised due to being in the flood plain. The main field entrance is about 50 yards west of the bridge, drive up out of the field to the highway, and in the past we could see over the guard rail. Last summer, highway department replaced the bridge and raised it at least a foot then ran the guardrail all the way to our entrance. While the bridge was out, I rebuilt the fence along the highway and set the gate back about 36 feet to allow us to park a pickup/trailer or tractor and implement while opening gates. That was before the guardrail was up. Now can't see for the bridge itself and guardrail. I cleared trees along the creek and other side to try and see cars coming and we just tried to be more cautious. They also extended the rail on the south side so no where to go once you get out on the road. This week, my wife had a car come across the bridge as she was pulling out with a long implement. So looking more at the risk of a T bone since we have lots of low profile equipment and no way to see over all this.

Other than moving the field entrance further away from the bridge or hauling in dirt to raise our entrance, any other ideas on making this a little safer?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)