AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Oxy/acetylene cutting, what's your pressure?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

frmrzdotr
Posted 12/12/2018 14:38 (#7166627 - in reply to #7166316)
Subject: RE: Oxy/acetylene cutting, what's your pressure?

The acetylene can be very easy to figure out visually. Pick a number to start out with. Go modest, say 6 psi on the regulator. Crack open the line and light up. open the knob/valve until the flame has a nice shape, straight out. Go slowly. When you can no longer see black smoke you're good. If you cannot get there, add 1-2 psi at the regulator and go again. All this is done with a minimal opening at the tank valve. If you need to suddenly shut down, it is IMPORTANT that you can kill off all the acetylene first and FAST.
Oxygen is another animal. You need control-ability, but you also need capacity once the "cutting" phase starts [preheating is done]. Most of the people I know open up the tank valve, often all the way. Then, set the Oxy regulator at 2x the acetylene setting to start with. After the Acetylene is dialed in to "no smoke", open the oxy control enough to pull the inner blue flame tips back to a clean appearance [no feathers].... no more than that. Preheat the work piece. you'll know right away when you trigger the cut lever... if you have enough Oxy or not.

Been cutting for 40+ years, never looked at a book or guide yet. Not that it's a bad thing but training your eyes/mind is easier than memorizing a table. I learned with tips that had part numbers ending in 03, 05, 06, 08, etc.... That last digit was usually quite close for optimal Acetylene pressure. I think SMITH was the brand.

Happy torching!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)