AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Welding up front axle pivot pins on JD 5020, will they weld OK?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

CTOBAC
Posted 12/12/2018 04:35 (#7165524 - in reply to #7164985)
Subject: RE: Welding up front axle pivot pins on JD 5020, will they weld OK?

For 100 hrs. per year I would definitely make something myself.
Option 1: Build up existing pins with welder and then have them turned at a machine shop back to original diameter. I would preheat the shafts with torch and then weld with either 7018 or a 70 series flux cored wire in a mig. Weld stringers alternating at one end and then the other end. Peen each stringer after removing flux for 15-30 seconds while weld is cooling to help stress relief. When finished I would place shafts in a bucket of dehydrated lime or sand fully covered to allow slow cooling.

Option 2: buy D-2 tool steel material and have new pins machined. Pins can then be placed in an oven, heated and will become hard. This is only feasible if your machinist has an oven.

Option 3: simply buy cold rolled round shafting and make new pins. Pins can be case hardened if you have someone local to do this or ship them to a facility. For 100 hrs. per year I would skip the heat treating and just make sure the bushings are greased religiously.

Hope you get it fixed soon. I am a Massey guy but have always liked the looks of 5020's and the 6030's.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)