AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cows not showing belly before calving ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Bluedog
Posted 12/10/2018 21:23 (#7163009)
Subject: Cows not showing belly before calving ?

Nebraska
I had a 1st calf heifer and an older cow surprise me with calves this year. I thought the 1st calf heifer might have lost her calf this summer(preg checked with blood test in spring) and the older cow might have never been bred. They "should" have been bred for Sept calving but they didn't drop their calves until late November. I almost culled them from the herd before I turned them onto cornstalks. Both of them shocked me when they had calves...Unfortunately both of them had the calves right during crappy weather but they are both alive and doing well.

But neither one of them showed any belly at all or even a bag(so much so I thought they were both open). Compared to everything else walking around with huge bellies(good grass this summer) where it was obvious.

Is that the cow genetics?

Or is there some other reason why some cows show more than others?

Is that considered to be beneficial genetics or not?

Just curious, I might have to watch these two to see if they show like this every year. Unfortunately they are both very late, hopefully they will breed back quick and won't continue to lag behind the rest of the herd...but I'm so small it doesn't really matter. But I also know each cow by their tag number, so tracking something like this will be easy.

The "surprise" calf from the older cow also confirms that another cow had twins. For the longest time I didn't realize that she wasn't nursing a calf...but I had the right # of calves and there was one nursing two at a time. I thought it was possible that one adopted her calf, but I guess one had twins.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)