AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

MacDon Head Sucks!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 12/10/2018 21:32 (#7163034 - in reply to #7162288)
Subject: Not an FD but....

I run the old mechanical macdons, but where I have issues getting crop under the belt is from the back tin of the draper frame. The smaller seeds and bits of stem etc., hit the back tin from the reel throwing it there, then slipping under the draper belt. It still ends up building up down front behind the sycle. The rollers get bulging and the canvas wrinkles, eventually not turning.

I ended up putting a thin piece of 3" angle iron on the back tinwork just clearing the draper cleats. It reduced the build up by maybe 80%. I think next I will remove the angle iron and cut a piece of rubber or canvas that can just lay on the draper belt by gravity and not cause drag issues. As it is the 3" angle just is'nt enough draper coverage. I need closer to 5" to keep the seed and gopher dirt from bouncing under the angle between the draper cleats.

I am not in snow or soybeans and not even an FD head, but figured I'd offer what I have had to do to solve my issues that are similar in action, just not similar in weather. Wish ya the best. And no matter what, keep safety the highest priority. Dont need to be reading about any more farmers getting killed or maimed.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)