AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

MAP / DAP application timing ?s / opinions wanted
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

rebuilder
Posted 12/9/2018 21:15 (#7160744 - in reply to #7159511)
Subject: RE: MAP / DAP application timing ?s / opinions wanted

Bourbon,Indiana

hf213 - 12/9/2018 13:57 So ...my question, do you think I would be better off and wait till spring to spread my MAP / DAP ( for next year corn ), or do it now ?

If I spread on frosty mornings in the Spring, say like mid March, would I still lose the N by planting time. Clay based soils, with a just little sand / gravel on top. I am thinking by waiting, that I could maybe gain or salvage the little bit of N in the dry that would be spread in the Spring...vs losing more of it if I spread now

Hey Rog,

The rule of thumb was to generally NOT count the N from fall spread dry fertilizer, or at least not all of it.

Now, however, I have been hearing the fertility guys from Purdue and other researchers say that all that N from a fall spread should be available come spring (provided it is not washed away). I'm not sure what recent research has changed that paradigm? But after listening to them, I am not as worried about fall spreads and losing the ammonium N from MAP/DAP. I guess that depends on how much of your total N you are putting on in that form though.

The hard part is the Phosphorous. I normally spread in the spring, but have spread plenty of times over the years in the fall too. A torrential rain in November (or any winter month) can cause just as much P loss as a spring spread with a big rain event.  And I realize, that for some guys, it is easier to get it put on when the ground is froze rather that waiting for things to dry out in the spring. I don't have a tried & true answer for you. Especially factoring in the P pollution issues, and how that may affect farmers with future regulations?

I do feel that fertilizer on top of frozen ground carries the most risk. So, in my opinion I would opt to wait until closer to planting and pray we don't get torrential rains soon after spreading. Mid-March and after I would consider game on (depending on conditions at that time).

Good luck, and hope you get to feeling better.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)