AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ike's tractor
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Orin
Posted 12/9/2018 23:20 (#7160983 - in reply to #7158987)
Subject: RE: Ike's tractor

Nusbaum Farms LLC Bellfountain, OR
I've never before been to a place where history hangs so heavily in the air as Gettysburg. I was fortunate enough to participate in the Gettysburg Leadership Experience 2 years ago and it was fantastic, but the biggest highlight of the trip for me was the tour of the Eisenhower farm by Dwight & Mamie's granddaughter Susan Eisenhower. Got to tour the house and the grounds, including the barn & outbuildings. I was really taken by how un-extravagant it all was. Some of the furnishings and upholstery was fairly opulant but much of it spoke of upper-middle class. Amazing that the former leader of the free world lived there less than 50 years ago. I left the visit with even more admiration for the man than I had before.

The interior of the house is relatively unchanged since the 60's and it was a bit surreal being there, particularly the office and sun porch where Eisenhower governed from as he convalesced from his heart attack.

Side note- the guard shacks at the entrances didn't even exist until after the Bay of Pigs. I'm not even sure there was a full-time Secret Service detail 24-7 until then.

-Orin
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)