AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lexion combine Cat C9 C12 C13 complete engine
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Where Can I find?????Message format

frmrzdotr
Posted 12/10/2018 07:56 (#7161317 - in reply to #7156564)
Subject: RE: Lexion combine Cat C9 C12 C13 complete engine

The pick list for ordering a CAT engine is huge. Off the top of my head you have multiple options for engine oil fill point, location of dipstick, pulleys, fan drives, fuel filter types and locations, fuel/water separator type and/or locations, flywheel housings, the flywheel itself, Hp rating and duty cycle, engine mounts, air intake elbow, turbocharger size/type and mounting style, numerous oil pans to pick from [some cast aluminum, some stamped/drawn steel], exhaust outlet size/type, fuel line attachment point and fitting type... and I'm sure many more "picks" need to be made when spec-ing out an off-road engine. While some of the items can easily move from one engine to another during a swap, some will not, especially if you are changing from the little C9 to the larger footprint 12 or 13. And, the 12 vs 13 shows different intake air and exhaust air flow patterns. The 13 was a nice, modern "cross-flow" design. The 12 was pretty messy by comparison. I've even seen massive differences in crankshaft construction that would rule out some engines. You have the rough-cast-finish electric induction hardened cranks that go into lower Hp ratings, or even in high Hp engines with marine or on-highway duty cycles, and they look and live completely different from the MASSIVE flame zone-hardened and quenched cranks in the higher ratings and duty cycles. One may fit where the other was taken from, but definitely not plug/play for endurance. The change from a C9 footprint to the C12/C13 footprint will be interesting. I'd love to see before/after pix.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)