AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What’s it cost to put in an acre of corn?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

AGDEAL
Posted 12/8/2018 17:15 (#7158084 - in reply to #7157795)
Subject: RE: What’s it cost to put in an acre of corn?

Illinois
I was looking at it from a different approach of the cost difference between conventional and non gmo. I haven't heard of anyone here buying non GMO corn for $32 per acre but I know I have had dealers mention a savings of $70-80 per unit. I am sure it's there if you want to find it. Personally I rank my hybrids by seed cost per bushel in my plot and in our fields and buy accordingly.

Had traited corn since it came out and no idea on alternative herbicides. But he is spending $16 per acre more on herbicide. At 2.5 acres per bag (my assumption) that is $40 per unit wash between glyphosate trait vs extra herbicides.

We don't use starter here or apply anything else with the planter so if you do it takes more on the planter and more support equipment.

The last few years we haven't had enough disease or desire to spend more money on the crop to invest in fungicide. This year was my best ever corn at 267 whole farm average.

Point being how many dollars do you spend to avoid buying traited corn? How many extra things do you have to do? Labor isn't free even if you don't get paid by the hour.

I am not trying to pick on coup but he is doing a lot of extra for no money just to avoid traited corn. It's a nice insurance policy for no more than it cost in my opinion......and dare I say I still think glyphosate is a good low cost herbicide even if it's not the kill all it once was.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)