AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sad day in history Dec 6 1985 Allis Chalmers last tractor rolls off the line
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

UNL96
Posted 12/6/2018 22:54 (#7154511 - in reply to #7153277)
Subject: Dad demoed an early 8030 in 1982.....

if I remember the year correctly pulling a chisel plow in alfalfa stubble. I distinctly remember it was possible to get the powershift hung up between two gears if you didn’t shift firmly and shifting the range lever could become nearly impossible if there was any bind on the transmission. The short wheelbase made them it ride like a lumber wagon and would beat you to death doing tillage work. We went with another brand and never regretted it.

When we needed cheap hp in the 90’s we ran an 8550 for quite a few years. Same sardine can cab as the black belly 7000’s. Loud and dirty since the dash and steering console are separate from the cab. Even with new seals and foam they are loud and dirty. It got the job done but it wasn’t pleasant running it.

There were a few N series Gleaners in the neighborhood and the only reason guys kept them is they were broke like everyone else in the 80’s and couldn’t afford to trade them off. Fortunately we didn’t have an N series Gleaner. I was looking at some old dealer literature from the 80’s a few years back and there were some old service bulletins on the Gleaner N series discussing the field updates on the Rotary Improvement Program, RIP for short. Rather ironic name I thought considering how things turned out for A-C.

Edited by UNL96 12/6/2018 22:57
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)