AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Could we blow through our soybean supply by replacing petroleum with soy oil?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 12/6/2018 14:50 (#7153355 - in reply to #7153128)
Subject: RE: All Energy is Solar.. banked vs Yearly Income.

southern MN
That algae probably won’t fit well in my northern climate, but likely will be one of the better options for growing fuel in the future along the coasts and southern USA. Probably one of the big winners. Has some issues yet, but there can be solutions to them.

I got a little too deep into researching alternate energy several energy crisis’ ago as a kid, and after a while I got turned off on the whole biomass types of energy growth. What people were trying to sell, and what is reality was very far apart. Just the massive volumes needed gets all messed up to convert annual plant fiber into a highly concentrated energy never fits well.

Things change in many decades, and I try to keep an open mind to new ideas or new ways. I was hopeful of the corn cob ideas of the past decade, but it appears that flashed in the pan as well?

The hemp thing is always, always the same story over, it’s people who want to smoke the ‘other hemp’ promoting the fiber, which just doesn’t have that big a market. Hemp oil is fine and all, but it too has a limited market and by itself is spendy to make without a viable co product.

Soybeans aren’t the best oil producer; but the coproduction of meal makes them the most attractive in large areas of the country. I just don’t see large plantations of palm trees taking off across the Midwest......

I wish it were different.

I tend to be very hard on ideas I actually like, I don’t waste my time on dumb (to me) stuff.

Less tillage, or cover crops, or an alternative crop to grow in my area, or alternate energy ideas - you will find me in those topics around here and you will find me boring hard into the negative sides of them.

Not to put them down, but to try to get past the negatives and find ways to actually make them work.

Maybe a little backwards of me, but I’ve never made a good cheerleader. Cheerleading is easy, just jump up and down on the sidelines while others do the work. Well, I probably cheerlead tile and ethanol, but in my mind they are working.....

I dwell on the negatives to try to see solutions to them. That’s probably an irritant to others, my backwards approach.

Paul

Edited by paul the original 12/6/2018 14:55
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)