AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bloomberg on resuming China trade
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

farmer4321
Posted 12/5/2018 14:01 (#7150742 - in reply to #7150563)
Subject: RE: Quite honestly, what do you expect the Chinese to do.

Quite honestly, what do you expect the Chinese to do, when they wake up Sunday morning and start reading stories about what they "promised to do" and it isn't anything like what they "promised to do"?
And then all of the obvious confusion about the time table, etc. etc.
I mean, the trump administration is completely unprofessional.
Now trump's advisors, Pence, Navarro, Ross, Lighthizer & Pilsbury may have a low opinion of the the Chinese. They may think the Chinese are dirty rotten bastards but they still have to deal with them and get a working agreement. That requires nominally courtesy, at least in public.
I don't that trump doesn't want to make a deal with the Chinese. He says so all the time. His idea of a good deal is for the Chinese to totally capitulate and give him a 100% of what he wants. But that's not a deal, that's just unconditional surrender and this isn't the end of WWII and the Chinese aren't the Japanese.
I don't think trump fully understands just how precarious his position actually is. It's pretty clear from the behavior of the stock market the past few months that if trump imposes 25% tariffs on Chinese imports the US economy will spiral into a serious recession, the republicans will take the blame and they will spend the next 40 years in the wilderness. You only have to see how the stock market response to trump's threats, it drops a thousand points; any news of a settlement, it rebounds 700-800 points and then drops again with negative news. You have to be blind not to see and understand that.
Trump has put himself in a weak position because all he has left is the nuclear weapon of 25% tariffs. He can use the weapon but he'll annihilate himself and the republicans in the process.
It's time for trump to cut out the monkey business, get serious, get professional, get the best deal done he can. I suspect that Xi isn't going to be a generous next time.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)