AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What would another recession do to the Ag economy?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Posted 12/4/2018 20:51 (#7149178 - in reply to #7149149)
Subject: RE: I remember....

@cfarms76
farmer4321 - 12/4/2018 19:38

I live on a fairly busy state highway and at the time I was putting up another bin. What I remember was just how traffic fell off. There's a cement plant down the road a ways, so I'm used to hearing trucks pass quite often during the day, & busy early morning and late afternoon traffic. It was so quiet. Just the occasional car, no trucks to speak of. It was down right spooky.
And then the foreclosures started. Lots people ( particularly young families )that had a job and just recently purchased a house suddenly found themselves laid off and had no choice but to surrender their house. Where they all went I don't know, moved back in with family, started to rent. For a while it cheaper to rent a house than get a mortgage because there were so many houses empty.
One of the things that save agriculture was that ethanol was booming and the Chinese bean market was really just taking off at the time. If you could get your corn to the ethanol plant you could get a good check. That's not the case this time.

Notice similar. Traffic right now is horrendous. Cars everywhere, semis on every road. Picked up tons since the recession. Second is restaurants. You could walk in about anywhere and get a seat. Now you can’t go anywhere from 5-9pm without waiting.

The local junk yard is overrun with junk cars. They have them double rowed out the driveway. I have never seen it. He said he has 4000 more inside. Times are good for car sales.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)