AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

"Chinese junk"
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

So-IL_69
Posted 12/2/2018 12:52 (#7143176 - in reply to #7143084)
Subject: RE: "Chinese junk"

I worked in Ag manufacturing for years. Including many years in sourcing. I've been to Chinese manufacturing facilities and tons in the US. What I saw is they have the good and bad companies and everything in between just like in the US. I'll agree on the whole that US companies in general have better quality but these blanket statements are inaccurate.

And as far as them skirting specs, that's on John Deere, CNH, AGCO, etc to align themselves with quality partners in China or any other low cost country. Most of the time it's not worth the Chinese companies reputation to try to save a few bucks sneaking in low grade steel. Keeping the contract is more important than that. Also these companies that source these products almost always do extensive testing before making the extra effort to source overseas. These manufacturers continue to randomly test them as they come in.

Maybe "they don't make them like they used to." I agree but we don't want to pay for things built that way anymore. Equipment is expensive enough. Over engineering is a real thing. It's a balancing act between cost and quality and the companies that strike the right balance tend to rise to the top over time. ...I used to live in a home that was 100 years old and solid brick with a stone foundation. I marveled at the quality of the workmanship in many aspects of the house. But that house would cost $350-400k to build today and I only paid $175. You could buy a lot more house for that kind of money by not demanding the same level of workmanship and quality and still be completely happy with the house. There's a reason we moved to stick framed houses. It's cheaper and serves the same purpose and still lasts long enough most of the time.

To respond to the part that only cost $79 going direct, don't underestimate the minimum order quantity quoted to you. That makes all the difference in the cost per part
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)