AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

son with eating disorder..
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

darb
Posted 12/5/2018 23:16 (#7152086 - in reply to #7137188)
Subject: RE: son with eating disorder..

EC Indiana
I have a daughter with an eating disorder. She (we) have been dealing with it for over three years. Of course involve your family doctor or pediatrician as a starting point. Christian (faith based) counseling was a big help and something I hope she will continue. What has helped her the most is seeing a dietician. She is like a counselor digging into the root cause and thought processes that may be key in understanding why certain things trigger my daughter to reseist eating. Or habits, or actions that may cause her to make poor choices about the timeliness of when and what she eats. They never talk about weight or calories. She has my daughter journal things that she can share when they meet. Also, sets goals and expectations designed to help her understand and overcome some of her fear, pressure, and anxiety she experiences related to eating.

I’ve learned to be much more careful about what I say around her. I try not to say, “you need to eat this or that”, or “why are filling up an carrots?” “One cupcake won’t hurt you”. Things like that. It is frustrating, it takes time, and will require patience. You need your family on board with the process. Ie, grandpa can’t say “boy, you need to get some meat on those bones, eat like a man” etc.

As I understand it, it is likely my daughter will battle this her whole life.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)