AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

son with eating disorder..
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

farm160
Posted 12/1/2018 09:59 (#7140205 - in reply to #7137188)
Subject: RE: son with eating disorder..

NE Nebraska
I suffered from anorexia the summer after graduating high school and my first year of college. Being a teen is tough and some teens take the comments and growing independence and responsibility and academic/sports competition very serious and combine it with concerns of self-doubt. Throw in bullying comments and the feelings of inferiority and it begins to snowball and it seem the only thing you can control is what you eat. My sister was my biggest critic as she was popular, smarter and thinner. So, in my case I decided weight loss would make me feel better about myself. Food consumption seemed to be the only thing I could control in my life and I got very good at it (female, 5'7" and around 100#) In many ways your son is going to have to work out the issue himself. He needs to feel more in control of his life, learn to accept responsibility gradually so he doesn't feel the weight of the world on his shoulders all at once, learn to take things less literally (that some kids joke a lot and you can't take everything so serious), learn to feel more empowered (doing things that make him feel better) so he has less fear and anxiety, etc. Right now he's probably internalizing those things. Weight is subjective (some people like to be thin and others it doesn't bother), but eating healthy is something everyone could strive for so I'd work on that with him. His situation may be entirely different, but that's where I was at with it. Good luck!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)