AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lets take a look at the fundamentals of the big 3 going forward
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

IN555
Posted 11/26/2018 12:40 (#7128795)
Subject: Lets take a look at the fundamentals of the big 3 going forward

NW Indiana
I think many will agree that corn and soybean yields are likely to come down a bit more, but to what extent IDK. Lets take a look at what the 2019 balance sheet is likely to look at assuming yields don't change. I am going to use the same total acreage for the big 3 even though I think it is most certainly likely to drop.

Wheat- lets assume planted acreage shakes out the same as 2018 do to planting problems but intentions overall were likely higher so lets call it a wash. Sorry but I'm not breaking down each class.
With 48 million acres planted and a yield of 48 would be a total production of 1920 and demand should be somewhere around 2150. Looks like that would equal a decline of 230 million off the 2018 carryout so would put it down to 719. Stocks to use of 33% but down significantly from recent years.

Corn- lets give corn 7 million more acres. With the usda trend yield likely to be pushing 176 that would be a total production of around 15,544. With current demand at 15,080 lets assume carryout grows by 450 million to 2186. That is a stocks to use ratio of 14%. That is lower than 2016 and 2017. I will add I think this years carryout goes down another 100-150 million. I also think it is unlikely we plant 96 million acres with everything factored but hey lets start with a hypothesis and work from there.

Soybeans- lets take them down the 7 million corn gained. With usda trend likely around 50 that would be a total production of around 4050. With current demand showing 4107 that would reduce carryout down to just under 900 million. That is a stocks to use ratio of 22%.

Overall my personal guess is the big 3 lose 2-3 million acres. I also think yields come down in corn 1-2 bushel and beans another half bushel. I think corn demand is understated. I personally think wheat acres will be up. So play with the numbers however you wish and decide where your risks are.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)