AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ethanol and food vs fuel debate
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

CMN
Posted 11/24/2018 10:20 (#7124309 - in reply to #7123913)
Subject: A local observation of the marketing of ethanol.

West of Mpls MN about 50 miles on Hwy 12
"let ethanol run without a mandate and let consumers/market decide if you use 0 or 85%"

I've spent the past couple weeks in the truck driving past several Casey's, a couple independent, and a couple co-op fuel retailers several times a day.

A Casey's store about 20 miles to my East is offering 88 octane e-15 that is priced $.31 OVER their 87 octane offering. They have no signage promoting the benefits of purchasing ethanol blended fuel. My last trip past this store, the price of 87 octane regular, as well their higher octane non ethanol offerings went down...the price of e-15 did not. There is no other fuel retailer in town.

A independent Minnoco retailer about 6 miles to my East is offering 88 octane e-15 that is priced $.04 UNDER their 87 octane regular offering. There is a lot of signage promoting the benefits of purchasing ethanol blended fuel. This store has blender pumps and also offers e-30, 50, and 85 at prices that are well below the price of 87 octane as well. There are two other fuel retailers in town offering 87 octane regular, as well as higher octane non ethanol fuel.

My home town Casey's, the co-op, and the independent Sinclair retailer offer 87 octane, as well as higher octane non ethanol fuel.

A Casey's store about 5 miles to my West offers 87 octane, as well as higher octane non ethanol fuel. There is no other fuel retailer in town.

A independent Shell retailer about 10 miles to my West offers 87 octane, as well as higher octane non ethanol fuel. There is no other fuel retailer in town.

A Casey store about 20 miles to my West is offering 88 octane e-15 that is priced $.04 cents UNDER their 87 octane regular offering. They have no signage promoting the benefits of purchasing ethanol blended fuel.The co-op has blender pumps and offers ethanol blends of e-20, e-30, e-50, and e-85. All blends are priced well below their 87 octane offering. There is no signage promoting the benefits of purchasing ethanol blended fuel. There is another smaller Casey store, and two other fuel retailers in this town offering 87 octane, as well as other higher octane non ethanol fuel.

I wonder how the "market" is responding to 88 octane e-15 that is priced $.31 cents OVER 87 octane?

All stores that offer the higher ethanol blends have the mandated warning label on the pumps that says it is illegal to burn the higher blends of ethanol fuel if your vehicle does not meet certain gov't mandated requirements.

The deck is definitely stacked against the "market" increasing it's use of higher ethanol blends here.

edit...added the store 10 miles to my West.

Edited by CMN 11/24/2018 10:32
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)