AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Christmas Rally
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Happy First Timer
Posted 11/22/2018 03:30 (#7120616 - in reply to #7120135)
Subject: RE: Christmas Rally

I stand by my statement. How much fertlizer does it take you to raise 225 corn? Seed cost? Fungicide? Harvest and drying cost on 225 bushels? Labor? Fuel? More importantly now days is your time? You need really good weather with a decent amount if rain to grow 225 bushel corn anywhere outside of the deep black dirt corn belt ground.

Here on my dirt we can grow 150 bushel corn with moderate rain, very little p and k. Throw on 125 units of nitrogen and 150 is attainable. No fungicide, no $260 a bag gmo corn seed. Fertilize, disk the ground, plant it, spray over the top and harvest.

Now, is it the way to the top yields, no. Is it the most sound agronomic practices, no. Will it yield a very similar net profit margin, yes. Think about how much less grain you are handling. That alone saves hours and hours of labor harvesting, drying, hauling. Obviously this is assuming cash prices stay around $3.30. If they jump up to $4 + then obviously shoot for the moon on inputs and try to raise a 250 bushel crop. But knowing what we know today with futures prices, raising a 150 bushel crop is less risky from a cost per acre standpoint and will still yield a similar net return. If a banker is involved $150 an acre input costs looks a lot more attractive than $350 to $400. Before someone jumps on me about $400 an acre corn inputs, really take a close look at your cost. Most people fail to recognize the true cost of harvesting a 225 crop, hauling it to the dryer, putting it in a dryer, then a bin, then unloading it and hauling it to the elevator. Not to mention the cost of electricity and either gas or propane to dry it. Truly $400 an acre may be a little light by the time those cost are figured in.

Is someone has a better more cost effective way to raise 225 bushel corn on my type soils and profit more than the 150 I am all ears. I read crop talk every day and I haven't found a cost effective way to do it yet. Our dirt here ranges from pretty good to pretty crappy all in the same field. We dont have the nice flat square 80s that a lot of you guys farm.

Edited by Happy First Timer 11/22/2018 03:36
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)