AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hog Manure vs Retail Fertilizer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Abomb
Posted 11/21/2018 09:22 (#7119179 - in reply to #7118765)
Subject: RE: Hog Manure vs Retail Fertilizer

Sheep Farmer - 11/21/2018 06:04

I’m going to buck the trend here a little bit. We get finishing manure out of a barn and when we first started getting it (15+ years ago) dad put it on ground right next to the barn to keep application cost down. The farm my brother and I farm together hasn’t seen manure in 30+ years. It is on a highway and the manure tankers would slop the road up and just isn’t convenient to make it work. This year the 2 fields on that farm were are best yielding at 276 and 265 dry field average no bull****. The ground where the hog manure goes is better ground all around in our opinion but I have not seen that ground out yield this specific farm time in and time out where we haven’t seen manure in 30+ years.

I like the hog manure for sure because if you can keep application costs low it is worth it but I do not think it is the drop dead answer for 20+ more bushel per acre. You can get just as good of yields if not better not using hog manure. JMO

Some would argue commercial fertilizer could be better because your putting nutrients right where you need them with variable rate vs hog manure is just a flat rate but will leave that for another debate....

The best way to do it is to lower the app rate of manure, and top it off with commercial, then you can get your variable rate to an extent that way.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)