AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

what ipad works best for soil sampling
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 11/19/2018 08:57 (#7114561 - in reply to #7114004)
Subject: RE: what ipad works best for soil sampling

southern MN
Well I just wrote a long deal, and oops threw it away before posting it. Sigh......

They offer 4 sizes of iPads. I think the mini is kinda small and low powered, and the big Pro is quite big to lug around? That leaves the 2 middle sizes. They are actually pretty close in physical size, the more expensive one has a bigger screen (less edge)and a much faster processor and other nice features. But it is a jump in price, the lower cost one will work fine for today.

For gps work the plain WiFi only iPads do not have a gps chip, they just kinda guess where they are. So you either want a plug in device as the one fella mentions, or you want a cell data version of an iPad. You do not need to activate or pay for any data plan at all, but the same internal chips that use the cell data also have the gps as part of them, so you need the cell version to have internal gps. As the other fella mentioned, gps really isn’t that precise on most tablets, but it is good enough for soil sampling.

Often times there is an ongoing special, to start or add the iPad to your current data plan they knock $200-200 off the price, that can make it more attractive to put it on active cell data for sure. Something to look into before you pay for it! It sure is nice to get on line out in the field.....

I would want more than 32 gig. That barely holds the operating system, that is too small. 64gig gets you by, 128-256 gig is nice for lots of pics and videos.

The lower end lower priced iPad has a slower processor. It works today just fine. It will become slow and obsolete fairly soon. The higher priced newer model is faster, more features, and will keep up for an extra year or two with new software. There is quite a price difference so I’m not sure which way I would go for your needs, I’m sure you are looking at the cheaper mentioned......

I would consider among the 3 models I underlined in red as a good machine at a good price. You can certainly go above that, but I would think long and hard at getting less than one of those.

(You could however get a non-cell version and get the plug in gps device the other fella mentioned.)

If you are shopping for a Black Friday in store super deal, it is harder to find the cell data/ gps models on a fire sale, they often have the bottom end models on those sales...... you would probably then go with the WiFi only and get a plug in gps device, see if the $429 WiFi only model is on a super sale and get a $100 plug in gps as tedbear mentions.

Paul

Edited by paul the original 11/19/2018 09:02

(11AF1A06-EC48-43CC-B10C-984A505162D6 (full).png)

(8519973D-549C-40A2-B212-BD8DD79E654F (full).jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 11AF1A06-EC48-43CC-B10C-984A505162D6 (full).png (66KB - 54 downloads)
Attachments 8519973D-549C-40A2-B212-BD8DD79E654F (full).jpeg (47KB - 49 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)