AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John's World on US Farm Report.. "Summer Fallow is outdated?!?"
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

mj_sker
Posted 11/18/2018 10:27 (#7112641 - in reply to #7112433)
Subject: RE: John's World on US Farm Report.. "Summer Fallow is outdated?!?"

The Far East...of Nebraska.
milofarmer1 - 11/18/2018 08:49

Letting land fallow from wheat to the next spring is the only way you are going to make a summer crop here. There is no "return on assets" if you put money into a crop that has no hope.

Occasionally we have a fall/winter that is wet enough we can do two summer crops back to back. That happened this year. Had some dryland corn on corn that was pretty good. I don't look to do that more than a couple times a decade.

The fact that we have to fallow some is reflected in our land costs. Also we cannot insure dryland crops double cropped after wheat. And I still can't get insurance on dryland corn as there is not enough good yield history to receive the RMA's blessing.

The area I’m referring to in nw ks, eco, sw neb used to be basically the same. But for whatever reasons you want to attribute to, it no longer is. And since it works now crop insurance takes some of the risk out of the game. Who knows maybe some day the rma will let you put sorghum behind wheat. When you say double crop I’m assuming you mean the next calendar year still, and not literally chasing the combine with a drill/planter. Semantics changes drastically based on where you farm.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)