AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Speed Sensor
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/9/2006 08:42 (#3792 - in reply to #3718)
Subject: RE: Speed Sensor

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Your list indicates several products that will get the job done for you. There are many more.

The products that you indicate would serve your needs for the planter monitor that you ask about. These devices produce a "radar" like signal for your planter monitor which is all you need for that situation. These devices can also be used with a spray controller that accepts radar like speed. We have made "Y" cables and adapters for those situations.

We sell a different brand but our customers have been very happy with them. They are all priced about the same. Due to some problems with radar (reliability of some models and crop interference), I expect to see less and less radar guns being used with planter monitors and spray controllers.

If you have any intention of using another device such as a logging or guidance device (yield monitor, mapping, lightbar, autosteer), you will need a GPS that provides at least your position (latitude/longitude). The devices that you listed are not in the category. The GPS systems that provide position information are generally more expensive.

Most of the GPS systems that are suitable for guidance/location also have a way to have them produce the speed signal that you desire. In many cases this is accomplished with an additonal "branch" cable that inserts between two existing connections. In some models (Raven 100G for example), the speed branch is included in the basic wiring harness since this use is very common.

Concerning your question about WAAS. WAAS is a Differential Correction method used to increase the accuracy of the GPS receiver. There are several correction schemes in use today. The speed substitution devices in your list generally do not use a correction scheme since it is not needed when the only output is the speed signal. This means that you do not really need to be concerned about that situation.

If an accurate location is necessary (guidance, autosteer, mapping etc.), a correction scheme is usually utilized to improve the accuracy of the location reported by the GPS receiver. WAAS is one of these. Its purpose is mainly for aviation but can be used anyone. It has the advantage of being "up in the air" and generally available for most parts of the U.S. This system uses Geostationary satellites (ones that "stay put" in the sky) for the correction information.

New satellites have been added and the one that I use has apparently "been moved" to a new location in the sky.

Edited by tedbear 4/9/2006 08:44
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)