AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

E 15?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

JonSCKs
Posted 11/10/2018 06:32 (#7096549 - in reply to #7095519)
Subject: We can put a Man on the Moon.. but we can't figure out how to use higher blends of ethanol..??

My first visit post fall harvest/planting was to my chiropractor..

ah.. "can I take this electronic stimulate machine home with me?"

"No."

"Okay.. I'll see ya in a couple of days.."

Then I got a haircut..  Then a Really good movie last night.. First Man.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Man_(film)

My wife wouldn't enjoy it.. "First Man... attacked by Alien Zombies.."  Might be more to her liking..???

Neil Armstrong was a quiet man.. Asked if he was excitied to potentially be the First Man to Walk on the Moon.. his answer was..

"I'm ready."

The media.. ?!?  What kind of answer is that?  Seriously Aren't you excited?  I mean if you don't explode upon liftoff?

To which Buzz Aldrin pipes up.. "Oh yal.. I'm going to take some of my wife's jewelry.. up and back.. she'll have the only space Jewelry on Earth after that..."

which the media likes better..

Armstrong interrupts... "If it were up to me.. and I could... I would take More Fuel..."

Which turns out prophetic cause a few days later as they are headed towards their targeted landing site.. Aldrin notes that it's littered with Boulders the size of cars.. to which Armstrong takes manual control and steers the Lunar Landing Module to a different safer site.. He BURNS ALMOST ALL of the Fuel within 5 seconds of exhausting it.. so much that the first words from Mission Control in Houston are..

"Nice Job Neal.. you got a bunch of us engineer types breathing again.. (we thought that ya'll were gonna go splat..)"

.. However turns out that Armstrong did bring some Jewelry.. a bracelet of his little daughter whom he and Janet lost to Cancer when she was a toddler.. in the Movie.. it shows him leaving the bracelet on the Moon... a lifeless.. colorless.. waste land.. where Armstrong reminisces about a nice spring day back on earth playing with his Daughter Karen.. who died..  Despite Neal's efforts to save her.. "out of my control."

as did about 9 other astronauts.. including Neal's Closest friend in the Movie Ed White.. as the US Space Program tried to catch up with the Russians in the Space Race.

At one point in the Movie a lead engineer asks Neal if it's worth the costs?

His answer.. "It's too late for that.. We're already committed.."  Which really hit's home when they show the scenes of strapping these guys into the MASSIVE Rockets.. 

"Okay.. give us a few minutes to get far enough away.. and we'll light this sucker and you'll be on your way.."

Which is enough time to swat a fly buzzing in the cockpit.. watch a seagull fly over the nose of the Rocket.. and wonder if their wives are about to become widows..

These guys were Brave SOB's.. "3 hours of boredom interrupted by 90 seconds of terror.."  If Armstrong would have blacked out.. on his Gemini mission.. as they spun at 300 rpm's.. They would have died..

but he didn't.. he recovered.. saved the rocket.. saved the mission.. saved the program.. saved himself... and later landed on the Moon.

to the relief of everyone else watching on earth.. including his wife and family.

I liked the Movie.. but it's not as much entertainment as it is just a story of what occurred and how hard it was on the families..

A touching scene as Neil's wife Janet walks across the street to Ed White's widow.. and closes the Car Trunk and helps assist her inside..

"you doing okay?"

"sure.."

life goes on.. for those who survived.. as husbands and fathers gave their lives so we could.. have.. Tang.. and computers.. and all the other benefits of what we learned going to the moon.. in order to BEAT the Ruskies.

There is a little bit of controversy from the Far Right that the movie doesn't show the AMERIKAN Flag et all.. actually it does.. but it just doesn't propagandize it as much as a PATRIOT should I guess.. for the single most PATRIOTIC moment in recent US history.. 

"We interrupt this War in Vietnam to bring you the News.. A Man has landed on the Moon.."

It does NOT do the hero's welcome.. we all know that.. it just closes with a scene.. between Neal and his wife Janet.. no words are said.  (Hi dear.. I made it..I'm alive.)  After watching the movie.. you understand maybe why Neal was so quiet..

A Scene where Mission Control asks for his Status.. 

"Quiet.. I'm busy."  as he crunches the numbers for the next burn.. to meet up with the Agena target..   He was the Right Man for the job... Brave.. Studious.. Skilled.. humble.. unafraid.. and frankly.. probably just plain lucky.. or was it blessed?

Fortunately they didn't splash down in the Mekong Delta.. on the way home.

The point:

"Ahem"  Well "if we can put a MAN on the MOON"  we can surely figure out how to utilize higher blends of ethanol as a fuel source.. or we can carry on as is.. Invading countries that don't like us.. building pipelines across lands that don't want them.. and building MULTI BILLION $$$ Oil Platforms to go drill in the Gulf of Mexico.. like the Deep Water Horizon.. that every now and then.. blow up.

A high school friend of mine's son... ships off.. again.. for Afghanistan.. for his.. 1..2..3rd tour now in America's longest running war...

Why?

I do not know.. 

God Speed Levi.. Be Safe and our prayers go with you.

Personally.. I would just bring him home and give him a job in an ethanol plant...

but that's just me...

Edited by JonSCKs 11/11/2018 12:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)