AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Summit Livestock cow/ calf barns
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

clicker
Posted 11/8/2018 21:57 (#7093976 - in reply to #7092787)
Subject: RE: Summit Livestock cow/ calf barns

Southern IA
tci184 - 11/8/2018 11:40

Looking into a Summit Livestock monoslope barn. Met with the salesman last night. He had lots of good ideas and was very helpful. We have very limited pasture available for our 50 pairs and with this wet weather it has been a battle keeping animals healthy. Our idea is to calve in the barn but still have access to the pasture. Lock them up when the pasture floods or bad weather. Anybody currently running cows like this. In the planning stages right now. Advantages/disadvantages? Thanks

why is it we will spend lots of money for the privilege to run cattle. I wonder that when I see grain farmers out driving around most the year with not much to do probably making more money a year than I do, yet we'll spend all our time and more money than it is worth just to have cows around. I'm a hypocrite here, but cows ought to be out on crop fields from Mid September to the first of May spreader their own manure and eating cheap, then you only have around 4 months you can put them on pasture or a lot, although the lot is still a very high cost option.. Adjust the calving time to 60 days or less than allow the best weather and marketing opportunity for calves after that.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)