AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Employees...Asset or PITA
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

mikeswoh
Posted 11/9/2018 12:53 (#7095193 - in reply to #7095017)
Subject: RE: Employees...Asset or PITA

Heavy is the head that wears the Crown.

I know what you mean right now I have a crew that is so good I do I am almost not needed. That won't last I no one is looking to leave. I have had other crews that make you want to quit or just take on the amount of work you can handle yourself, but that didn't last either.

I really do feel for you though hiring a sprayer off raider is the last position I would want to fill and if you hire somebody with no sprayer experience you're going to have to put in a considerable amount of time into training that individual. I think you would most likely have to stay in the sprayer yourself till you get a feel of how this new employee is going to operate equipment. You do have one big advantage though for training a sprayer operator and that is all of the fallow fields you have that you could ride with and let the guy spray water on to get his experience during slow season. I think the commercial outfits have problems with spray applicators at times tearing up the equipment and the only put the best in the sprayer. I made a few assumptions when answering your post and i may not have been right on everything. If the sprayer operator is the most important part put that in the requirements if you don't have time to train that person but just because someone has spray or experience doesn't mean they will be good. No way would I put a high school kid in the sprayer but I have found some very good high school help in the past but it is not easy. I do like to train my employees to do things my way vs trying to fight old bad habits that they have developed from other employers but the last guy I hired had been treated like dirt at last job and since I have hired him and treated him well he has been a very good worker and thanks me all the time in tells the other employees that they don't know how well they have it here. I don't think I know everything but I feel sorry for this guy because I more I'm around him I wonder if anyone has ever been nice to him his whole life.

Yeah I would definitely stay away from anyone with sketchy job history. I think that sprayer operator is gonna be expensive with experience and hard to fine or you gotta do a lot of handholding for a while. But if you develop and train somebody that may add to their job satisfaction something to think about I think money is supposed to be 3rd or 5th most important aspect of the job a lot of times it is emphasized as the most important but it's not. Good luck to you.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)