AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Employees...Asset or PITA
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Stormwatcher
Posted 11/9/2018 08:23 (#7094579 - in reply to #7092463)
Subject: RE: Employees...Asset or PITA

WCMO-SWMO Area
This place cracks me up...Some say that theres absolutely no money in farming and the next guy says that if you don't pay your number one man 100K per year you won't find anyone.....I know farm workers, factory workers, electricians,carpenters,welders,mechanics,spray operators,truck drivers,and only a very few of them in this area even come close to 100K per year..Jobs paying $30 per hour and over are few and far between....Maybe its just the area that I live in....I've got a family member in a big city thats a union electrician and makes $40 per hour with several lay offs every year..Several friends work in a factory and make $25 per hour..Even with lots of forced overtime and 7 day weeks they don't reach 70K per year..I do have one friend that drove 50 miles to a big city and was the head machinist and trainer in a factory...After working there nearly 40 years he made 100K per year but the hours he put in were unreal..He just retired and doesn't miss it a bit because he had tons of responsibility..

The OP said that in the peak season he expected 6-7 days per week with 10-12 work hour days ...He then says that theres flexible hours and time off during the slow season...That doesn't figure out to 3500 hours per year like someone said...Wheat planting, harvesting,and spraying doesn't last 52 weeks per year..I know a man that could do all the jobs the OP wanted and he doesn't make 50K per year..He likes it here and wouldn't move..Due to drought theres some large farms in this area that are going to be lucky to break even this year..

Edited by Stormwatcher 11/9/2018 08:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)