AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2x2 fertilizer options
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 10/28/2018 11:18 (#7069919 - in reply to #7068974)
Subject: RE: 2x2 fertilizer options

In 2007 I notilled corn with my 7000 planter. I mounted flat plow coulters on the fertilizer bar up front with thin ammonia knives behind each row coulter that was mounted 2-1/4" off the row. I mounted my three point sprayer on the tractor and with restrictions in each hose I put down about 60 pounds of N as 32% with the planter. The hoses squirted down throught the ammonia knives. I had spread 100 pounds of MAP on top the ground before planting. I dribbled 40 pounds of 32% when the corn was 4 feet tall every other row center, hoses on 60" centers. Before harvest the late season stalk test showed very low on N but the lower ears didn't fire nearly as early as those in neighboring fields that were depending on fall applied NH3. I applied a total of 111 pounds of N and the corn yielded 173.2 bushels dry at the elevator per acre. I have been bragging about this ever since on this forum and included lots of pictures of the planter. Search for 173.2 with my signature for those pictures. I'm sure the choice of corn seed was important along with more than 8% organic matter in the soil. I planted beans the next year but had troubles notilling because of all the corn stover. After that I rented out to a strip tiller (50/50 crop share) who didn't exceed that yield until his third year with at least 200 pounds of N per acre and more conventional seed and corn on corn.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)