AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thinking about visiting the.....swamp. Yes, D.C.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

noefingway
Posted 10/24/2018 09:35 (#7062513 - in reply to #7061713)
Subject: RE: Thinking about visiting the.....swamp. Yes, D.C.

MD
As a DC area native, I second the comments about using metro. You definitely do not want to navigate a car around DC and try to find parking. I hate driving in DC and avoid going anywhere near the place if at all possible. I even hate going to Frederick, to damn many cars, so I stick to the farm. So, find affordable accommodations somewhere along a metro line and use metro. If you fly into National Airport, the metro is there, same at Dulles.

The museums on the Mall are world class, you have the National Gallery of Art, Hirshorn, Air & Space (world's most popular museum, also portions maybe closed for renovation, check the website for the schedule), American History, Natural History and many more. Winter is the best time to visit in terms of fewer tourists. In the spring you have class trips headed to DC so the more popular museums get inundated. You can take tours of the White House and Congress, if you so choose. One of the Mall museum you may want to visit is the National Spy Museum.

Someone else mentioned the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space museum which is near Dulles Airport. Lots of great aircraft there that you can walk around worth the visit.

Gettysburg is about 2 hours from DC. Winter is not a bad time to visit, you can drive around the battlefields and soak up the history without a lot of crowds. Also, if you are a Civil War buff, visiting Antietam Battlefield and Burnside Bridge is worth the detour. Gives me chills every time I go there. I have those Mathew Brady photos burned in memory.

BTW, look up the early history of DC. It was built on a swamp, and it still feels like it in the summer!

Have a great time
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)