AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Are there Terrastar C problems right now?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 10/24/2018 07:23 (#7062266 - in reply to #7062088)
Subject: RE: Are there Terrastar C problems right now?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
dpilot83 - 10/24/2018 05:56

I guess I don't even know what stableloc is. I thought my picture indicated I was using Terrastar.

I thought it used to specifically say, "Terrastar C" though instead of just Terrastar.

It used to say Terrastar C and now just says Terrastar. I believe the reason is that there is also a TerraStar L besides TerraStar C. A unit needs to have the TerraStar unlock to use either.

TerraStar C is the higher end correction that requires a subscription that many of us have used for a few years. TerraStar L is a newer lower end correction and no subscription is required although the unlock is still required. I was told that TerraStar L is about equivalent to WAAS as far as accuracy, repeatability etc. One tech told me there was really no reason to use it unless WAAS was not available.

I have three InCommand 1200's that are usually in three tractors with Ag Leader 6500's and SteerCommand. All have the TerraStar unlock but I only have a TerraStar subscription in one tractor. The other two just use WAAS for correction. Last night my great nephew called while I was on a parts run. He had taken over tillage from his grandfather. This is with the tractor with the TerraStar C subscription which had been working fine all day. He said that a message appeared on the 1200 saying that the TerraStar C subscription had expired. He lost correction at that point although he thought that it started to converge again.

I told him that I had forgotten that the subscription was about to expire and was likely the problem I then tried to talk him through switching to WAAS until I got a new subscription going. He was unable to find the correct menu item so I called my salesmen friend at home. The salesmen refreshed my memory. Just as I hung up, my great nephew called and said he had found the menu choice under a wrench icon and had switched to WAAS which seemed to be working.

I believe he could have switched to TerraStar L at that time instead of WAAS. The salesmen asked if I would purposely switch to TerraStar L someday when I'm driving the tillage rig in an effort to try to decide how well TerraStar L compares TerraStar C and also WAAS as an experiment. It may turn out that TerraStar L is adequate for tillage but that TerraStar C is necessary for planting. This might mean that a short term subscription to TerraStar C for planting might be adequate.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)