AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New guy starting out
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

berggrenfarms
Posted 10/18/2018 12:21 (#7053364 - in reply to #7053092)
Subject: RE: New guy starting out

Nebraska, The land of corn and cattle

I wouldnt be so quick to turn the pasture back to farming, theres usually a reason its pasture to begin with, either it wasnt profitable to farm it in the first place, or it wasnt profitable as crops so it was turned into pasture. Around here there was a bunch of ground farmed with horses and Hs that shouldnt have been and its been turned back to native grass. Why would I want to try farming it with a 12 row?

Besides, with crop prices the way they are, a little diversified income might not be a bad thing, you dont say how much farm ground there is compared to pasture, but buying a few cows, running them in the pasture then out on the crop stubble is a cheap way to take care of them for most of the year. Or do some 400lb calves the same way, then start feeding them out or keep growing them on grass and you can sell them as freezer beef.  I know a guy who raises and sells Longhorn meat to grocery stores in Omaha, they cant keep it on the shelf. Then he sells the horns and the hides. Started it as a hobby now he has a herd of about 30-40 up here but keeps his good herd in Texas. Could do sheep or goats as well, whatever you feel comfortable with. Is there a large hispanic population fairly close? They love goats, my cousins raised some and the hispanics would come and butcher them right on the farm, wasnt anything left but the hooves when they were done, even took the blood for sausage.

If I had to pick one thing it would be a decent planter and tractor, then the bins or some kind of storage, that might help get the custom operator there sooner or when he does get there, he can get it whipped off in a hurry.   

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)