AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New guy starting out
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Iron Archer
Posted 10/18/2018 09:10 (#7053145 - in reply to #7053108)
Subject: RE: New guy starting out

South Eastern VA
Well Tyler,

Your starting out a hell of a lot better than I did.

Nobody in my family farms so I started out with a 1953 Ferguson to30 and a two row JD flex71 planter. I bought both for 2k and converted the planter to no-till. I still have both and use them all the time for a couple different reasons.

1-it’s fun
2-I plant tiny little fields for food plots for some of my friends and both always work great. Lol

Everything else you can have hired out l,but like you said it is by other people’s schedule. As long as you know that and don’t get impatient then I don’t see anything wrong with that.

Like it was mentioned above being able to market your own product is key. Doesn’t matter if it’s livestock or corn...you gotta have someone to sell it to.
The pasture ground you mentioned...is there something in writing that say it “Has to be a pasture forever”? If not you can do whatever the heck you want with it. There are thousands of posts on this site about taking pastures and CRP and putting them back into grain production...lots of great advice on that.

With everything you have at your disposal I would say you will be just fine! Remember you don’t need 5000 acres of land to be a farmer.

I still farm very little ground because I have a regular “day job” that I cannot get away from because it’s a family business..it has ZERO to do with farming, in fact there are probably less that ten people on the entire planet that even knows I farm. Lol

Well...next to all of the Agtalk guys anyway!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)