AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mega-dairies - cost plus contracts?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

hillclimber
Posted 10/17/2018 15:56 (#7051946 - in reply to #7051851)
Subject: RE: Mega-dairies - cost plus contracts?

SW Wisconsin
Abomb - 10/17/2018 13:06

WItitan2 - 10/17/2018 08:30

Grassland just bought a large dairy close to here. Walmart has their own contracts and plant. They will have their own dairies eventually. I never dreamed that dairy would go the way of hogs and chickens, but it is. My theory is that you will have small farms producing identity preserved, humanely raised dairy like grass fed beef and pasture pigs. Then the cheese on your $5 hot and ready little Cesar's will be from big dairies. If it wasn't for our long time fundamental belief in personal property ownership, crop production is going this way too. I'm guessing most commodities will be grown under contracts in the next few decades. Hopefully AG changes course for the better!

I think it will come sooner than a guy thinks. The elevator will sell you every input, and finance it through them. The only thing they really need the farmer to do is plant and combine. How hard could it be to just hire the farmer to do that?

What the farmer really does is take the risks and do the work. Those portion of production is the one piece that they don't want.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)