AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Buying first piece of ground: How to go about it?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Lucky2Farm
Posted 10/17/2018 19:35 (#7052160 - in reply to #7051106)
Subject: RE: Buying first piece of ground: How to go about it?

Indianola, MS
My cousin found a farm oriented accounting firm who had clients that took out farm loans already so they were able to help. It took a lot of hustling to pencil it all out but here i think Mississippi state has a crop production budget to serve as a guide. I think he had to document if any of his #'s did not match theirs. It seemed like he was standing still and had to grab a hold of a passing train but he became a farmer that way. The fsa beginning farmer program loan program is an education in of itself, it really should come with a diploma and the loan money. I looked at him and asked how he did not get frustrated? and he replied the Marines made him do paperwork one day every week for 9 years and he just smiled and produced everything needed to make it work while muttering about serialized weapons and other military equipment inventories he had to do. He shopped and shopped for input quotes so that it all penciled out and made a profit at the set price they used but he booked grain at a higher price and was able to use that number. his application looked like a ream of copy paper, 3 inches of paper or more. i was a fly on the wall helping him get started and it was intimidating for me look at but in the end it seems the only reasonable way to do it cost wise unless you have $ saved for a downpayment and other income,, and in the end the hassle of it all is minor compared to being ill prepared to enter the arena of farming and getting squeezed from day one. Get some good old cheap equipment and work yourself hard and humble and hope the prices go up
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)