AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Buying first piece of ground: How to go about it?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

tmrand
Posted 10/17/2018 08:47 (#7051478 - in reply to #7051106)
Subject: RE: Buying first piece of ground: How to go about it?

Southeast Colorado
I went the FmHA (now FSA) route back in 1994 when I got my start. I had a very good experience. It was a ton of paperwork.........but I'm pretty certain that was to my benefit. They were the only ones that would look at me without some kind of cosign from my parents..........and my parents weren't in the greatest shape financially at that time anyway. About the only bad thing I can say about FSA is that I know your experience will totally ride on who your loan officer is. I went through a few different people and their attitudes can really sway how things go. Luckily I had a couple of really good people who didn't act like I was using their money and really worked through things to help me. I also had a couple of rough ones but I just learned to play politics with them and smile and nod my head until they were gone. If I had started with one of those types I probably would have a completely different opinion.

Your level of experience and years involved farming make you an ideal candidate for an FSA type loan. But the clock is ticking because in theory they are only supposed to work with people who are in their first 10 years of farming.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)