AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Possible land purchase
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

berggrenfarms
Posted 10/16/2018 10:17 (#7049960)
Subject: Possible land purchase

Nebraska, The land of corn and cattle

Im thinking about getting serious about buying my first piece of ground and thought Id ask what everyone thought.  A little background, I turned 30 this year, been working with Dad for the last few years and finally got the chance to rent 2 pieces of ground this year. Together we farm about 750 acres of corn, beans and alfalfa, have a 100 hd of cows of which I own 1/4. Both the pieces I rent are long term, I dont have to worry if Im going to lose them every year, and both are at a very fair price.

Im looking at a irrigated 1/4 thats about 5 miles up the road from one of my farms, its not a full irrigated piece, Id guess about 115-120 acres so it has some bigger corners, its pretty decent ground for the area as far as terrain, and like most in that area it has a mostly dry drainage creek through it. I know the guy whos been farming it, its his uncles ground but he has 0 intrest in the piece because its 30 miles from his home area. So I can find out exactly what its been yielding, but 200+ bu corn and 65-70bu beans are pretty attainable. Its got a fairly new Zimmatic and electric well on it, with pretty good water I think.

I ran into the agent yesterday and just out of curiosity I asked about it, he said they were asking $6500/acre but he thought if someone come and offered $5700 or so, theyd take it. Id be getting an FSA loan for it so intrest would be pretty cheap, and thought if a guy could talk them into $5500 I dont think itd be a bad buy. If I ever wanted something a little closer to home I could always sell it and not have any attachments to it. I cant think of a single piece thats near us that would be coming up for sale in the near future anyway.  Basically charging myself the rent would cover the loan payments. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)