AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

IV for bottle calves questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

don@nebr
Posted 10/16/2018 22:16 (#7050977 - in reply to #7049866)
Subject: RE: IV for bottle calves questions

I have brought half dead calves back from the grave. I never used an IV. Better mark the calf so you can give treatment for 3 days or so. After 2 hours or so they are back and eatting and drinking.

Put a heaping tablespoon of baking soda in a big syringe without a needle. (I used the ones the needle nipple is broken off) LARGE syringe so you can slurry the soda in enough water to keep it suspended. If not the first time add water and keep shaking. Tip their mouth up and they will swallow even if next to dead and on a banana peel.

Secret to NOT having to do this for gut borne stuff. (NOT PNEUMONIA THO) is get right amount of bovatech in bottle and treat off speeds with double for 3 days. You can not imagine how easy it is to feed bottles and extra growth besides never get real sick..

Thats ONE thing I really miss in retirement. Wish I kept my equipment for that. but it takes 2 or 3 is better. When my kids wanted to go some place and was in a hurry , we could feed 84 calves in less than half an hour, sometimes a lot less.

Edited by don@nebr 10/16/2018 22:23
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)