AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Offering salt while cattle are on lick tubs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Beefbiz
Posted 10/16/2018 11:41 (#7050076 - in reply to #7049920)
Subject: RE: Offering salt while cattle are on lick tubs

all over Iowa

Most minerals are high in calcium because most cows need supplemental calcium, and because calcium is the lowest cost ingredient to use as a carrier for the other nutrients and calcium is the safest nutrient to over feed.

Also, the availability of calcium in the soil or water is variable while the availability of calcium in manufactured feed is very predictable.

What the cow needs for nutrients depends on your goals. The real question is can I improve my weaning rates, weaning weights, cow breed back, etc by feeding a higher levels of the nutrition?

Compared to feeding no commercial mineral at all (so no added trace minerals or vitamins) 3 more calves out of 100 cows would more than pay for the mineral bill for the entire herd for the entire year. That's assuming the same weaning weight; you will also most likely wean heavier or healthier calves to sell from cows on a balanced mineral. I know a lot of feedlots that will not knowingly buy calves from a ranch that does not feed any commercial mineral to its cows, because those calves have more health problems and higher death loss.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)