AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Offering salt while cattle are on lick tubs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 10/15/2018 20:49 (#7049139 - in reply to #7048685)
Subject: Question Beefbiz,.................

“These are the times that try men's souls.”

You made the statement that " It is an old wives tale that cows can choose what they need. Salt is the only mineral they can regulate themselves, and they will often consume more than what they need. " I would disagree on that statement. Then how come I can put out liquid protein supplement, all the brand name lick tubs, dry mineral even salt in block form. My cattle will regulate themselves them on native and non native pastures. I do have a high salt and mineral content in ground and also water sources in those pastures. However I will agree if a animal is lacking in minerals and the only sources is a trace mineral block of salt they may consume more salt than is needed just to get the small amount of mineral in it. I even tried to get liquid protein so sweet to try and get consumption up and it never happened.

So for a cow/calf operation what would be the factors you feel need to be monitored to see that cattle are getting enough minerals and salt and over all nutrition? Conception, live births, breed back, sickness in calves from birth to wean? What are those percentages you feel are needed to show a successful program? I realize every operation is different, but from a text book stance what would be the normal or numbers to strive for?

So if you had time I would like to see your thoughts, then I will try to get back on here and list my percentages that I know of to date. However conception rates will not been known for at least till end of week as I start preg. checking Wednesday. However I can give previous history and we will see how they compare this week. I will tell you that I went though the driest summer I've ever had, only getting moisture the last few weeks.

Edited by Russ In Idaho 10/15/2018 20:51
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)