AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

If rain makes grain?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

jdironman
Posted 10/14/2018 21:03 (#7047287 - in reply to #7046911)
Subject: RE: If rain makes grain?

Nw Iowa
If and I mean if weather straightens around meaning no moisture for 10 days, and if we can get sun beans here will go fast. At this point biggest loss will be shatter loss if weather straightens out and snow goes away as beans have rotten stems and pods. ( still some green pods and stems on late planted stuff) I don't see any damaged beans yet. Don't see any pods opened up here as I don't think beans ever dried down much below 14 before all the moisture. Just saying that things could change pretty fast if weather turns. Corn here is a different story. Stalks are rotten. Every wind blows more down. Late planted corn is barely lack layered and we normally don't have very good drying weather from now on. Stalk quality never has been good because rain washed nitrogen down. Corn all died last week of aug or first week of sept. What we have harvested there is easily a 5 bu loss because of wind damage. We have done our best corn 25% that was planted early because it was drier but boy it sure looks like a mess on some of the rest.
One thing I know is that a lot can happen with two weeks of good weather. We won't be done n two weeks but it would sure be a big dent in it. That said years like this forecast looks good but rain keeps creeping back in.
Even though we had 4" of snow today it will be gone tomorrow and we will be going again tomorrow afternoon. 2 or 3 days of sunshine would make a huge difference here. On non tiled farms are going to need a week or 10 days before we do anything on them.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)