AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Who needs farmers anymore...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

farmer4321
Posted 10/13/2018 10:55 (#7044296 - in reply to #7044190)
Subject: RE: My wife's car has.....

My wife's car has sensors in all the tires to signal their condition, There's no adjustment on a combine that can't be computerized? In a word, None!
Take PLO's example of a chisel plow, you don't even need to put strain gauges on the chisel shanks, they're already there, they're called the reset springs. All you need to do is install simple, dirt cheap optical length sensors to monitor the draft of each shank. As you go across the field, each shank will generate an average draft which will change in the same for all the shanks depending on soil conditions. The program monitors the draft and watches each shank. If soil conditions change it should affect all the shanks in a similar way, If one shank goes out of range consistently, there's an alert. At the end of the field, Boston Dynamic's Atlas will be there to fix the shank.
As for combine adjustments, there's nothing on a combine separator that can't already be automated, monitored and computer controlled. You don't even need to walk around the back of a combine and look at the ground to do it.
For example, when you make adjustments on a combine separator what are you trying to accomplish? Namely, adjust the combine to maximize the grain in the clean grain elevator. All my twenty year old combine lacks now are servo's on the chaffer & sieves, everything else, cylinder speed, cylinder clearance, fan speed, etc already have electric controls.
If you apply the principles of statistical process control to a combine separator it can adjust itself on the fly as it crosses the field even where the grain yield varies across the field. I can almost write the program in my mind. The combine starts with typical settings for the grain to be harvested. As it starts across the field in checks the moisture content, etc and makes adjustments. then it systematically modifies each parameter a small amount and watch yield. If the yield increases then it keeps it, if the yield declines it returns to the original setting. It does this with every parameter. It doesn't matter if the yield varies across the field because after enough cycles of adjustment the yield variations will average out the adjustments. If you add a yield map history, the program could even take into account the expected variation.
For that matter, what computer algorithm couldn't market grain more efficiently than 90% of farmers, no emotions, just calculating the probabilities for costs & gain.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)