AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Old Case AFS yield monitor question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 10/12/2018 08:31 (#7042217 - in reply to #7041769)
Subject: RE: Old Case AFS yield monitor question

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
torn - 10/11/2018 22:36

ntbill - 10/11/2018 20:25

I am replacing the AFS/Garmin gps with a Garmin 18 I have laying around. I am getting the NMEA strings coming through on hyper terminal so it works. The replacement set up at 19200 baud rate. Question is, will this rate work on the old yield monitor? I don’t want to reprogram the receiver if I don’t have to and I don’t have access to the monitor to test before I drive to the field tomorrow. This is the old original similar to the AL YM2000.

Nope. 4800 baud is what you need.

Agree, the older displays need a GPS which is set at 4800. I used a Garmin 17N (nautical) that I got fairly cheap with an older display but I had to reconfigure the Garmin. Garmin had a program to do this which worked OK once I figured out what I needed. I also had to make a special adapter cable to connect to an old laptop with a separate power branch. Once I figured out the program and the wiring it was fairly easy but was a real pain only to do one. At the time I did a couple for other AgTalkers but that was long ago.

Sometimes a newer display (neighbor or dealer) can be used to set the output. As I recall Garmin's came with their own GPS protocol which worked fine with their products but not the Ag Leader type yield monitors. The Garmin can be changed to the standard NEMA that Ag Leader and the old AFS display require. Yours may already be putting out NEMA messages but at too high a BAUD rate. As I recall, the spec's are 4800, 8, N, 1 with VTG and GGA ON, all other messages OFF. This may not be exactly correct for the old AFS displays.

Edited by tedbear 10/12/2018 08:34
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)