AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Deere Error Messages
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Jason_WI
Posted 10/9/2018 23:07 (#7037270 - in reply to #7036810)
Subject: RE: John Deere Error Messages

NE WI
Apparently there aren’t any geniuses at Deere.

From someone that has worked in product development for 8 years and manufacturing for 14 years this is completely unacceptable. It’s a good thing this isn’t a finished medical device as the FDA would have padlocked the doors for these kinds of problems.

It sounds like Deere software engineers are not writing the correct test protocols for every case that can be seen for all the inputs and outputs. Doing this takes time but yields a better product in the end.

I have seen first hand when software is rushed and not fully tested. I’ve been sent software updates that have completely bricked the flash. The boot loader was corrupted and rendered the product useless. When I asked the software team if they actually loaded the binary to make sure it booted the answer was no. ?!?!?!

The worst experience with poorly written software was on a networking product and the US based company completely outsourced the software development to India. After months of updates and finger pointing that we didn't build the hardware correctly it ended up being software configuration within the Freescale processor not correctly configuring the DDR memory bus. This caused random reboots and CRC memory errors.

I do not know where Deere does their software development. Maybe they are taking a play from the Apple playbook to leave the last update on a legacy product slow and full of bugs. Sell new displays that way.

It’s quite possible Deere outsources the hardware and software development to a 3rd party. Either way it is unacceptable to leave the last update full of bugs.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)