AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

PF3000 GPS Wanders
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Joe@RFDG
Posted 10/6/2018 08:03 (#7028836 - in reply to #7027531)
Subject: RE: PF3000 GPS Wanders

Glenwood, Mn

premoj - 10/5/2018 02:25 Someone else may have to chime in on this, but you can use a different gps source (like agleader display, or FM750) and have one of those devices output NMEA GGA and VTG at 4800 baud and 1Hz (5 or 10 Hz is better, but like they said, I'm not sure if the PF3000 can handle that much data or output, meaning 5 or 10 times per second vs 1 time per second). The garmin puck antenna that you use a very basic WAAS or maybe autonomous signal that tend to wonder and weave on maps like you have, by using a better antenna/reciever (like a fm750) that has better corrections and better signal qualities it should help. I recently added this to a customer combine, but we are so wet here, that I have not been able see any data since they have not been to the field. I was hoping to be able to try and run 1, 5 and 10 hz to see what it can handle and how long his card will last.

I don't have anything to add other than 4800  is a slow baud and extremely limited on bandwidth. Be careful pushing high GPS rates through. 

At 4800 8,N,1 that's 10 bits per character (8 bits to the character (one byte) plus one start bit, one stop bit).  4800 bits per second divided by 10 bits per character is 480 characters per second.  Typical GGA sentence is about 90 characters.  Typical VTG is around 50.  That's 140 characters for the two.  5 hertz with those two sentences would exceed the bandwidth available and depending on how the sender and receiver handles it will give/receive bad information.  10 hz would be even worse.

I am pretty sure the deere systems are "smart" enough to grey out the output frequencies that won't work  as the output baud rate changes.  Example would be 4 output messages at 5 hz won't be able to be selected at 9600 baud.  I am not sure on trimble or others.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)