AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

5G and internet access
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 9/14/2018 10:53 (#6987711)
Subject: 5G and internet access

southern MN
I see on the political forum this article is being discussed:

https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/verizon-5g-home-net-ne...

Seems like a fair computer issue, not politics.

I myself fail to see the connection of Verizon moving forward with 5G network in a handful of urban areas and the issue of net neutrality?

Net neutrality is about access to content. Without it the providers can carve up the internet into proprietary ‘channels’ and extract extra money from you to access Google or Bing; charge extra fees or block access to Facebook. Block off the NAT server if they feel like it. Lack of net neutrality essentially changes the internet from a freely accessed place to specialized internet channels you will be allowed to access if you pay enough for each different channel.

5g is the hardware setup to access the internet.

Entirely different things.

A very silly article obviously written to befuddle non-tech folk.

Without net neutrality the fun of internet is pretty much over. Just a matter of time until the big 3-4 internet control companies carve it up into the specialized limited acces channels they can best market to the masses.

5g presents its own problems to rural folk. Totally removed from the net neutrality issue.

The current 4g wireless internet access provides about 20 miles of coverage per tower. It is becoming slow and limited number of people per tower by today’s uses, so it does need to be replaced. Especially in congested urban areas.

5g allows many many times more people per tower, and many times faster access. However the trade off: the 5g signal only covers about 5 miles, so we need many times as many towers to be put up. These 5g towers/ transmitters cost a fair aomunt each. Because they can handle many more connections at one time, they are cheaper to put up in an urban area. Cost per connection is lower because even if they cost more, they handle more traffic.

Out in rural areas, we do not generate enough traffic to absorb the cost of the 5g transmitters.

So we will soon see commercials about how wonderful and cheap 5g internet access is for 95% coverage......

The problem is, those of us in the rural areas will be, and will remain in the dark 5% of no coverage.

The $$$ math says so.

In my view, if you live more than a couple miles from an urban center of 50,000 population or an interstate, you will be waiting a long long time before 5g comes to you. A long time.

Which might not matter, because without net neutrality, you probably won’t be allowed to access 1/2 of the internet anyhow as your provider can tell you whether you can access Netflix or Sling or Bing or Yahoo! Or.....

What a silly misleading article.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)