AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Some pics of the 60" corn today
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

GM Guy
Posted 9/16/2018 00:59 (#6990470 - in reply to #6989393)
Subject: RE: Some pics of the 60" corn today

NW KS/ SC ID
tmrand - 9/15/2018 10:44

The smaller of the above mentioned fields is where last year's milo residue was burned off. There were a couple of 2 to 3 acre spots that hadn't burned on that field and when I sprayed you could really pick them out easily. That residue is just so valuable! I'm amazed how our crop hung in there and stayed green with so little rain. Perhaps there won't be much grain when we harvest though. I guarantee you that a season like we've had this year is EXACTLY when the skip row should shine. We started with a full profile and got just enough rain to get good emergence and then the tap basically shut off. Since the crop has emerged there has only been about 3 inches of rain and 2 of that came here near the finish line. I will say that with just a visual of the field I can not really tell any differences between the skip and non skipped stuff. (Unlike the stunning pictures above)

I've seen several of these University studies where the skip row looks great but all of them are from places north of me where the evaporation rates are much lower. I'm confident that any advantage to skipping rows on my farm should be very evident come harvest time this year. If there is no advantage then I will be done skipping. I'll let you know.

If you quit skip row, will you pursue 36 or 38 inch rows, or will you just be returning to 30 inch?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)