AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Iced tea
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

chickenqueen
Posted 9/11/2018 07:32 (#6981775)
Subject: Iced tea

Mid MO
Dh and I were talking.
Growing up our Grandmothers always served iced tea at a dinner. Both of mine boiled lipton on the stove. Super strong and bitter, black as your hat in the pitcher. Granny added sugar, Grandmother did not.

Tea was a staple of our households growing up. It was always available. My first job on the farm was bringing the carpenters a pitcher of tea, when my Dad had a hay barn built. We drank at least a gallon per day. Instant when I was very young. Somewhere we switched to Lusianne. Moderate ammounts of sugar. My aunt made sweet tea, 1 cup per half gallon. We loved it as kids!

My folks quit drinking so much tea as they aged, said it was hard on their kidneys. My aunt went on a diet, lost a bunch of weight. One of the things she did was cut the sugar out of her tea.

We don't make tea daily, but when I have company, I feel compelled to make sure it's on the table. If it's kin folks, tea gets consumed. If it's our friends, not touched. We end up drinking it later. When I have ladies club, tea is expected.

When we go to other folks our ages homes, no tea. Generally our friends aren't from around here or they aren't farm folks. There's drinks for the kids or juice and beer and a non alcoholic choice for adults. My Granny was a t-totaler and only men drank at my Grandmother's. Then only at Christmas and New Year's at night, not at dinner.

Fwiw, my old boss would make a half gallon of cold brewed iced tea every day at noon.

Is this a cultural thing or an age thing or am I just wacky to notice?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)